Students could apply for the competition by either method below:
- Direct Qualification: nominated by affiliated Regional, State of National Science Fairs
- Direct Application: for teams without nomination from science fairs, they can submit their projects and be considered by our Selection Committee. Certificates should be provided if team’s project was awarded in regional, state or national science fairs.
- All applications should be done through https://ce1.hkfyg.org.hk, please refer to the user handbook for more details.
- Application deadline is 22 April 2022 (Fri).
- Finalist teams should pay USD150 participation fee by 20 May 2022 (Fri) via online payment or TT.
- Participants should form a team consisting of 1 – 5 team member(s) aged 19 or below (born on or after 1 January 2003) and in the study year equivalent to US Grade 7-12 or UK Year 8-13.
- Each team should have one supervisor.
A. Project Type
B. Project Category
C. Project Requirement
Each team should submit the following documents
- A one-page abstract (Template)
- A report which describes the investigation and include relevant drawings, photos, tables, charts to support findings, with maximum 3,000 words and maximum 30 total pages (Suggested Format).
- A 5-min project presentation video with 1280 x 720 resolution preferable, the video should include the face(s) of the participant(s). (please submit the video link in https://ce1.hkfyg.org.hk)
- A team photo with the project (landscape format,.jpg or .png)
- All materials should be written in English. All written materials should be submitted with Calibri font or similar font, 10-12 point font size, and at least single spaced.
- All project materials except the team photo should include the team no., project title, participant's name, school name and country/region.
!ATTENTION! The science project materials submitted must be original work by the teams which should not infringe on the copyright of any third parties. If a participant has sought advice/assistance from any person, including his/her guiding teacher and assigned advisor, all sources of information must be explicitly acknowledged in the registration form and report. The organizer accepts no legal responsibility whatsoever in respect of any copyright issues.
Teams are encouraged to send a 3-min cultural performance video to firstname.lastname@example.org by 22 May 2022. This video will be played during the Closing and Awards Ceremony on 12 June 2022.
- Grand Prizes (top 10%): Gold Award, Silver Award, Bronze Award
- First Prize, Second Prize, Third Prize and Honorable Mention
- Sustainable Development Award
- Visitors’ Favorite Award
- The judging will be conducted via Zoom Cloud Meetings. Teams should download the Application before the judging.
- Finalist teams need to login the Zoom Meeting 15 minutes before the scheduled time with correct display name. Camera and microphone must be connected and turned on. Teams failed to show up on time will be disqualified. The judging will be conducted in the breakout rooms.
- A MC and timer will be in the same breakout room to host the judging and keep the time.
- 5 minutes for presentation and 4 minutes for Q&A session. Presentation language is English ONLY.
- A professional judging panel formed by academics and industry representatives, will evaluate the team’s scientific knowledge, understanding of projects, originality, collaboration and presentation skills.
- The judging will be live-streamed to GYSTB Facebook Group for public viewing and mutual learning among teams.
|Invention (A)||Investigation (B)|
|A.||Originality (15%)||Originality (10%)|
|B.||Design of Invention (30%)||Definition of Problem and Analysis (30%)|
|C.||Realization of Design (30%)||Methodology (35%)|
|D.||Presentation Skills (15%)||Presentation Skills (15%)|
|Sustainable Development Award|
|1.||Definition and understanding on SDGs (20%)|
|3.||Expected effectiveness (20%)|
- City University of Hong Kong
- Prof. Sai Tak CHU
- Dr. Denvid LAU
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Dr. Koon-Sing HO
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Dr. Frederick Tsz-ho FONG
- Prof. Jensen Tsan Hang LI
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Prof. Edwin H.Y. CHAN
- Prof. CHIU Siu Wai
- Dr. HAU Chun Kit
- Prof. HO Ho Pui
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- Prof. YEUNG Yau Yuen
- The Institution of Engineering and Technology, JAM Island Theatre
- Ir Teresa Kai Man WONG
- The University of Hong Kong
- Dr. Tommy Tsan-Yuk LAM
- Prof. Anderson Ho Cheung SHUM
- Dr. TAM Yee San, Issan
- Dr. Jack WONG Chun Ming
- 145 teams from 26 countries and regions enrolled
- 106 teams shortlisted
- Gold award winning projects:
- BC Projects: Sustainable Plastic via Clam Shells (Hong Kong) and Fabrication of Eco-friendly Cellulose - Reduced Graphene Oxide Hybrid Aerogel from Various Fruit Wastes for Water Purification (Singapore)
- PE Projects: C.A.R.D. - Augmented Reality Game for Identifying Early-age School Kids with Dyslexia (Hong Kong) and Sanjeevani: A Novel Automated System for Hospital Acquired Infection Monitoring and Prevention (United States)
- 122 teams from 22 countries and regions enrolled
- 93 teams shortlisted
- Gold award winning projects:
- BC Project: Study on the Anti-reflux ability of Chinese Yam using Novel Gastro-oesophageal Model (Hong Kong)
- PE Project: Microplastic Filter - A Small Solution to a Global Problem (Ireland)